APNU/AFC perpetrating brazen heist of Guyana’s Treasury – Jagdeo

first_imgThe coalition A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) Government, despite its complaints of finding an empty coffer, is in fact perpetrating a brazen heist of the Treasury through acts of cronyism and its doling out of large contracts without an competitive process.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo as he made his presentation in Parliament on FridayThis was the declaration made by Former President Bharrat Jagdeo, as he led an Opposition charge in a marathon debate in the National Assembly on Friday last.The House was at the time debating a motion calling on the members to adopt the policies that had been set out by Head of State, David Granger, when he addressed Parliament on October 13 last.The President during his address had accused the previous People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration of cronyism in its presiding over numerous failed projects and had pointed to the $1 billion Kato Secondary School, among others.Public biddingJagdeo in taking umbrage with the President’s remarks sought to point out that what the President did not say is that each of the projects given out under the past administration was in fact done so using a public bidding process.“Every single one of the projects that he mentioned has problems with quality and underperformance but one thing I can say is that every single one of these contracts was publicly tendered,” said Jagdeo.He spoke of the use of public contractors and supervision from the public pool on all of the projects but sought to draw a contrast to the approach of the APNU/AFC administration.“Contrast this to the approach to rent the bond,” said Jagdeo in reference to a recent Cabinet decision to rent a Sussex Street property for the storage of drugs and medical supplies at a cost of $14.5 million per month.Jagdeo was adamant that there was absolutely no public tender for this contract which works out to $174 million per year or in excess of half a billion dollars over the three years.He pointed out too that “we know where the office (is) located for this company” in reference Linden Holdings Inc located in a Middle Street building, formerly the Sidewalk Café, owned by Government Minister Cathy Hughes.Jagdeo said that, “assuming Kato school has amortisation (repayment) of 10 years at $174 million a year we would have spent $1.7 billion.”“You complain about corruption and cronyism and you don’t see it,” Jagdeo quipped.Jagdeo also responded to President Granger’s assertion that the APNU/AFC Government had in fact inherited huge liabilities in the form of legal settlements.He was adamant however that this was not true in that Government did not inherit any such.He rubbished the well documented arguments regarding the Rudisa beverages settlement which he said pales in comparison to the out-of-court settlement involving Demerara Distillers Limited (DDL).Jagdeo is of the view that this transaction was done surreptitiously outside the view of the public and will in fact expose the Treasury to as much as $80 bilion in liabilities.Outlining his case that Government is in fact perpetrating a ‘brazen heist on the Treasury,’ Jagdeo pointed to the more than $400 million spent on the D’Urban Park Project, again undertaken by handpicked contractors, and called the transaction malodorous.“You pontificating and have these brazen acts of heist of the Treasury…. Do the comparatives, how can you stand with a straight face and talk about projects that we tendered,” Jagdeo charged.last_img read more

Read More »

Mark Hughes hints at late January signing as Stoke City exit the FA Cup

first_imgStoke manager Mark Hughes hinted at a late dip into the transfer market following the injury to Mark Wilson in Saturday’s FA Cup defeat to Crystal Palace.Wilfried Zaha scored the only goal of the game as the Potters were dumped out of their second cup competition of the week.Wilson left field with a ‘significant injury to his knee’ according to Hughes, leaving the Welshman light in terms of defensive cover.“You’re looking at a period of 10-12 weeks,” said Hughes.“He could be out for a significant amount of time so at the moment, given our defensive options and the guys that we have unavailable, we are a little bit light.“We might have to look at our options, maybe short term from now until the end of the season.“It’s not an area which we were looking to strengthen so we don’t know what is out there.“We hadn’t given that area the consideration it probably deserves now in the current circumstances.“You never know, but I’m sure once people realise that we might be a little bit shy of defensive numbers  I’m sure we will get a lot of calls between now and the window closing.”last_img read more

Read More »