Convicted 63-year-old drug trafficker to stand trial

first_imgThe South Ruimveldt, Georgetown resident who was previously convicted of trafficking cocaine and who was earlier this year caught attempting to traffic cocaine for a second time was committed to stand trial for the offence by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.Sixty-three-year-old Dennis Jones heard from the Chief Magistrate that a prima facie case was made out against him for the offence.The charges originally instituted against Jones alleged that on January 18, 2017, at the General Post Office Corporation (GPOC), he had 10.618kg of cocaine, which he attempted to post out of Guyana for the purpose of trafficking.It was also alleged that between September 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016 in Georgetown, with intent to defraud, Jones forged a national identification card in the name of Josiah Jones knowing it to be false.Accused: Dennis JonesCustoms Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) agents intercepted a box containing a total of nine kilos in baking /custard powder bags and 1.62 kilos of liquid cocaine in two Banko Wine bottles found in a package destined for Canada. The package was due to leave Guyana on January 20 via a Fly Jamaica flight in the mail consignment.Jones was later caught by the ranks hiding in the ceiling of his home. He was arrested and charged.The prosecution in its case pointed out to the court that it was convinced there was overwhelming evidence to convict Jones of the offence when it showed video surveillance footage from the GPOC which showed the defendant in action.Police reports indicate that Jones was in 2012 charged and convicted for trafficking over 300 kilograms of cocaine in soap powder to Niger, West Africa for which he served time at the Camp Street Prison. Jones was deported from the United States after he was convicted of conspiracy to traffic cocaine.last_img read more

Read More »

Portsmouth Supporters’ Trust approve Michael Eisner’s proposed takeover

first_img1 Pompey Supporters’ Trust shareholders have voted in favour of accepting ex-Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner’s takeover proposal for Portsmouth.Paul Cook’s side secured promotion by winning the League Two title as the south-coast club, who were in the top flight as recently as 2010, plot a return up the divisions.The PST, the club’s principal shareholder, controls 48.5 per cent of Portsmouth’s current ownership structure and have three members on the board of directors.The supporter shareholders were presented with a 48-page document as California-based Eisner, whose 70-day exclusivity period runs until June 1, also aims to invest an additional £10million in equity should the £5.67m deal go through.The 2,272 PST shareholders had until Friday evening to cast their vote on the offer of Eisner’s Tornante investment group to buy 100 per cent of the 2008 FA Cup winners.There was a 93.6 per cent turnout with 1,825 shareholders voting to sell the PST shares.The club’s 16 individual shareholders – ‘the Presidents’ – have also agreed to sell their stakes.A Portsmouth club statement read: “Seventy-five per cent of the Presidents have voted to sell their respective stakes in the club, representing 32.9 per cent of the club’s equity.“Together with the PST’s 48.5 per cent, this means 81.4 per cent of the club’s equity holding is in agreement with the sale. The threshold to approve a sale, as laid down in the shareholders’ agreement, is 75 per cent.”Discussions on the timeline for the formal takeover process will now begin.PST chairman Ashley Brown said in a statement: “This is true fan ownership and democracy at work. Our fans decided who the next owner of our club would be – and it will be Michael Eisner and Tornante.“The Trust board would like to wish Michael the very best of luck. We believe he understands the importance of the custodianship of Pompey and will be an owner all fans will be proud of.“We look forward to working with him, his family and Tornante for many years to come.” Ex-Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner is set to take over at Fratton Park last_img read more

Read More »