US$30K Heroin Makes a ‘No-Show’ in Court

first_imgThe packed courtroom of Criminal Court ‘C’ at the Temple of Justice was a scene of disbelief and shock when government lawyers failed to give account of 1.2 kilogram of heroin valued at US$30,000, allegedly arrested from a 24-year-old Ugandan woman, Shirat Nelwadda.Prosecution had indicted her with multiple crimes including unlawful possession, trafficking, and distribution of a narcotic drug.She, however, denied all of the charges read to her in open court by the clerk of court.At the hearing on Tuesday, March 25, while the Court remained seated and silent, Judge Blamo Dixon asked the government lawyers where the heroin, the fruit of the crime (foc) could be found, as it was not in Court where it belonged.  The Prosecution responded:  “The heroin is with the court and we will soon bring it.”That statement elicited this reaction from Judge Dixon: “Tell the people that the drugs are not with this Court.”State prosecutor and judge did not name the court in possession of the 1.2 kilogram of narcotic drugs.Legal experts, however, suggested to the Daily Observer that the drugs were at the Monrovia City Court, which had heard the matter before the defendant had been indicted by the Montserrado County Grand Jury.Before Judge Dixon’s request for the fruit of the crime, prosecution had earlier presented pieces of evidence to the court, leaving behind the 1.2 kilogram of heroin, which was at the center of the trial.The prosecution’s first witness, Special Agent Albert Hare of the Drug Enforcement Agency, (DEA) was also on the stand testifying in the matter.Hare is believed to be the DEA officer who investigated defendant Nelwadda when she was charged.Testifying under cross examination, when asked who had arrested Defendant Nelwadda, Hare responded, “It was officers of the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Roberts International Airport’s (RIA) security assigned at the Airport that did the arrest. We were not at the RIA when she was arrested and it is not the DEA that carried out the arrest. It was done by joint security assigned at the Airport including the NSA and RIA. We only came into the picture when she was turned over to us by the NSA. You know we are an agency of government, responsible to investigate drug-related cases. That was why they placed her in our custody,” Hare explained about his agency’s involvement.”That means you never arrested the defendant?” Judge Dixon asked. Hare replied: “Yes, we did not arrest the suspect.”Asked whether the defendant was investigated by the NSA, Hare again responded: “No, NSA did not conduct any investigation.”Also, testifying on the direct, Agent Hare alleged Nelwadda was charged following a preliminary investigation and a laboratory test done on the drugs, by the DEA.Surprisingly, when he was asked by defense counsel whether Nelwadda had a lawyer when she was investigated according to the law, Hare replied: “We accorded the defendant all of her legal rights under the law, including her right to a lawyer and the right to remain silent else any statement made would be used against her in a Court of competent jurisdiction. She agreed, and that was how we went ahead with the investigation.”The case continues.  However, details of the document that brought Nelwadda under the jurisdiction of the Criminal Court — a copy of which is in the possession of this paper— said, on November 30, 2013 she was arrested with 1.2 kilogram of heroin valued at US$30,000 by joint security assigned at the RIA.The document further quoted police as saying: “the drugs were in a black suitcase that she was traveling with.”It continued: “During the investigation, the defendant said she was traveling to Liberia for the first time to meet a “boyfriend” called Ekina, whom she does not know. She had also been told she would be met by Nalutarya Laila, her girlfriend in Zama, Kampala, the capital of Uganda.”The document further alleged that “upon her arrival at RIA and subsequent arrest with the drugs, defendant Nelwadda could neither give the contact address or telephone number of the so-called boyfriend she claimed is the owner of the drugs she was carrying.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More »

‘Feels good to be a welterweight’

first_imgWhat Mosley did Saturday night was turn back the clock with a win over Luis Collazo that was impressive for several reasons. In doing so he also staked a claim as the second-best welterweight in the world behind Mayweather. Not a bad night’s work for a fighter who seems to be coming into his second prime at an age when most others are long gone from the sport. There are now bigger fights ahead, including a possible fight with Miguel Cotto in June and maybe later a fight with Mayweather, who figures to return to the 147-pound division after his bout with De La Hoya. “I respect him, but only one man can be king,” Mayweather said. Mosley earned $1 million and raised his record to 44-4 against a tough southpaw who fought hard but didn’t have the speed or experience of his older opponent. Collazo said he hurt his left hand in the third round, but it likely wouldn’t have made a difference in a fight where Mosley consistently got off the first punches. Ringside punch statistics showed Mosley landing 200 of 601 punches to 87 of 639 for Collazo, who briefly held a piece of the welterweight title before losing a controversial decision to Ricky Hatton last year. “I wish I could have been more effective,” Collazo said. “But that was the best I could do.” Mosley’s career seemed re-energized after two wins over Fernando Vargas last year, and he’s now got his father, Jack, back in his corner. The two decided he would be more effective at 147 pounds, where he could use his fast hands and not have to fight as flat-footed as he did at 154 pounds. The strategy worked against Collazo and now Mosley seemingly has his pick of fights with higher profile fighters. That could include Cotto, whose planned June fight with Antonio Margarito may be off because Margarito signed to fight mandatory WBO challenger Paul Williams instead. “It’s not like I have to fight for money anymore,” said Mosley, who earned millions in big money fights against De La Hoya and Vargas. “If I’m going to be the best fighter out there I have to stay busy. I have to fight these young, hungry fighters.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LAS VEGAS – Shane Mosley looked so good that even Floyd Mayweather Jr. paid him some grudging respect. “He’s pretty good at what he does,” Mayweather said. center_img “I want to keep myself in shape and maybe fight again in June,” Mosley said. “I am going to keep myself in shape and tuned up.” The Pomona fighter moved back to 147 pounds for the first time in nearly five years, promising he would be faster and better than before. He delivered on those promises by consistently beating an opponent 10 years younger to the punch and winning a lopsided 12-round decision. Mosley, who was smiling when he entered the ring and smiling after almost every round, also showed he still has some sock at 147 by knocking Collazo down with a right hand late in the 11th round. “It feels good to be a welterweight again,” Mosley said. The win gave Mosley what the WBC said was an interim title that he will collect when Mayweather goes through with his May 5 fight against Oscar De La Hoya at 154 pounds. But the title doesn’t make much difference for a boxer who seems re-energized at the age of 35. last_img read more

Read More »

THEY’RE ‘PUTTING ON THE RITZ’ IN DONEGAL TOWN!

first_imgRobbie Gillen, Leela Voss, Margaret Murphy, Carrie Houlgreave, Margaret McMorrow & Theresa Murphy put on quite a show!Traffic on the Diamond in Donegal Town slowed to a trickle on Monday morning as cast members in full costume filled one of the windows of Magees shop to promote a major entertainment event this weekend.by Paul O’SullivanTwo worthy charities; National Breast Cancer Research and the local Solace Cancer Care Support group will benefit from a major Cabaret Show fundraiser in the Abbey Hotel, Donegal Town this Sat. night. “Putting On The Ritz” will showcase the magic of 20’s entertainment featuring a riot of colour costumes and a pulsating torrent of cabaret style dance.The show features an all local amateur cast who’ve given countless of hours of their own time to present this full on live night of fun and dance.The organisers have decided to pitch the admission price at an affordable €10. That includes a pre show Drinks Reception at 8pm followed by the show at 9pm and ending with dancing to the talented Andrew Monk band.  THEY’RE ‘PUTTING ON THE RITZ’ IN DONEGAL TOWN! was last modified: October 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal TownPaul O’SullivanPutting On Th Ritzlast_img read more

Read More »