Judge said politician’s letter had no influence on drug dealer’s suspended…

first_imgShannondoc operating but only by appointment RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleTrick or Treat for Temple Street with the Orchard BarNext articleInvestigations continue into fatal road crash Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie No vaccines in Limerick yet First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSdrugsfeaturedFianna Fail spokesperson for Justicehugo porterJudge Carroll MoranlimerickMichael Collinsniall collins WhatsApp NewsBreaking newsJudge said politician’s letter had no influence on drug dealer’s suspended sentenceBy Staff Reporter – October 16, 2014 905 Email Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended center_img Twitter Advertisement Print Facebook Linkedin Andrew Carey Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] LETTER submitted to a drugs trial from Fianna Fail spokesperson for Justice was said to have had “no influence” on the decision of a Circuit Court judge to suspend a three year prison sentence for a convicted drug dealer. Stating that Hugo Porter, a widowed father of four boys, was “a very luck man”, Judge Carroll Moran warned that the convicted drug dealing had a responsibility to his children and that he was never to get into trouble again.The evidence was heard in the adjourned sentencing hearing of the 40-year-old who was convicted of having drugs for sale in County Limerick in 2011. Porter was seen emerging from a field in Castleconnell, County Limerick with a quantity of drugs which were “packaged for sale”. His co-accused was in an awaiting jeep checking off a list of customers.Hugo Porter, along with co-accused Alan Lysaght, were said to “equally culpable” in their drug dealing operation where there was evidence put before the court of further drugs stashed in ammunition boxes and customer “tick lists” found. In his sentencing address, Judge Carroll Moran said that Porter and Lysaght were caught with a total of €17,698 in cannabis herb and resin and that the two men were “acting in concert”. Noting that although the 40-year-old was caught with only €2,700 in his possession and that the rest of the drugs were stashed in the field, Judge Moran said that it was an aggravating factor that the “drugs were in small packages for sale”. Judge Moran also said that the Porter had “numerous convictions” as well as a recent conviction for an assault and the production of an article in a dispute in Clare. Porter received a two year suspended sentence for that offence but it was not activated as time of suspension had since lapsedHowever, in mitigation, Judge Moran outlined that an “extensive report” concerning the welfare of Hugo Porter’s four children was submitted to the court.Offering his condolences to the accused because his wife died tragically earlier this year when she took her own life, Judge Moran said that the report from the Child and Family agency said they had “no concerns for the upbringing of the children by Hugo Porter as the sole surviving parent”. Judge Moran said that the report said that arrangements had been made in the event the 40-year-old was jailed “but if he was sent to prison it would create instability for the children and instability for the family”. Citing a judgement from the Court of Criminal Appeal that had been opened to him, Judge Moran said that in cases where exceptional and special circumstances a prison sentence could be suspended. He added that the circumstances had to be “wholly exceptional”. Judge Moran said that he was mindful of the tragic death of Hugo Porter’s wife, the report’s outline as to his positive parenting and the undue punishment that the boys would get if he was jailed, therefore he imposed a three year prison sentence but suspended it for a period of three years. Warning Hugo Porter as to his further conduct and the suspended sentence he had just received, Judge Moran said “you are a very lucky man and you have a responsibility to your sons to never get into trouble again. “Because of the attention it attracted, I feel I have to mention it, but a politician who wrote a letter did so with the best of intentions and motives and I believe that to be the case. But I have to say that it had no influence on my decision at all and I will say no more on the matter”. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more

Read More »

Yellen Faces Grilling in First Hearing as Fed Chair

first_img Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Related Articles in Daily Dose, Featured, Government, Headlines, News, Secondary Market February 11, 2014 835 Views Federal Reserve GSE House Financial Services Committee Janet Yellen 2014-02-11 Tory Barringer Share Save Tagged with: Federal Reserve GSE House Financial Services Committee Janet Yellen Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Previous: Zillow Report Shows Rise in Mortgage Rates Next: DS News Webcast: Wednesday 2/12/2014  Print This Postcenter_img Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Yellen Faces Grilling in First Hearing as Fed Chair The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Home / Daily Dose / Yellen Faces Grilling in First Hearing as Fed Chair Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Subscribe Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago If nothing else, Janet Yellen proved on Tuesday she has stamina.The newly installed Federal Reserve chair—the first woman to take the post in the institution’s century-long history—sat in front of the House Financial Services Committee for an extended session, fielding dozens of questions on topics ranging from the Fed’s current direction to GSE reform.Yellen’s prepared remarks for the committee echoed much of what analysts have seen in recent Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) statements, with references to a recovering (but still weakened) labor market, a slowing housing market, restrictive fiscal policy, and the usual prediction of a “moderate” expansion in the nation’s economic activity.She also told House members not to expect any great change in policy now that she’s at the helm.“[L]et me emphasize that I expect a great deal of continuity in the FOMC’s approach to monetary policy,” she said. “I served on the Committee as we formulated our current policy strategy and I strongly support that strategy, which is designed to fulfill the Federal Reserve’s statutory mandate of maximum employment and price stability.”Having said that, Yellen emphasized “purchases are not on a preset course,” and the FOMC’s decisions about whether or not to taper will continue to hinge on its outlook from meeting to meeting.With the last two employment reports suggesting a possible slowdown in economic growth, the Fed chair was reluctant to discuss what they might mean for the possibility of further cuts to purchases in the FOMC’s next meeting.“The pace of job creation [in December and January] was running under what I had anticipated, but we have to be very careful not to jump to conclusions in interpreting what those reports mean,” she said, adding that the committee has data to consider beyond employment rates. “I think it’s important to take our time to assess just what the significance of this is.”She also left open the possibility for a ramp up in asset purchases should economic conditions deteriorate significantly.Another topic of interest for the House committee were Yellen’s thoughts on housing finance reform as industry players and policymakers offer up their ideas for moving forward on Fannie and Freddie.“I think the time has come,” she said. “I hope that you will deal with a reform of the GSEs, and there are a variety of ways to do it, but I think the government should make its intended role more explicit and make sure that whatever entities are set up to deal with housing finance … don’t create systemic risks to the financial system.”One subject left out of Tuesday’s hearing was the Fed’s latest round of annual capital stress tests, the results of which are expected to land in March. Of course, she’ll have another opportunity to discuss it this week—when she appears before the Senate Banking Committee Thursday.last_img read more

Read More »

11% of new homes buyers reject living next to affordable homes neighbours

first_imgHome » News » Housing Market » 11% of new homes buyers reject living next to affordable homes neighbours previous nextHousing Market11% of new homes buyers reject living next to affordable homes neighboursResearch by Jackson-Stops and Crest Nicholson highlights how many people have yet to embrace ‘inclusive’ approach to community living.Nigel Lewis5th July 201903,126 Views Eleven percent of new homes buyers would prefer not to live in developments that include both affordable homes and open-market units, new research has revealed, underlining how a sizeable minority of buyers are still resistant to mixed developments that include ‘social’ housing.The worrying figure is within a wide-ranging research document jointly produced by Jackson-Stops and Crest Nicholson and launched at a gala event last night in central London.Scott Black, Managing Director of Crest Nicholson Regeneration, told those attending that: “We are working closely with our partners to ensure that we have a wide mix of affordable, rental, shared ownership and open market housing in a range of sizes so that anyone can choose to live in the new communities we build.“We are already seeing the success of this model reflected in our regeneration developments.” This includes its Bath Western Riverside development (pictured, above).Affordable homesJackson-Stops’s Ben Babington also revealed that Phil Spencer’s much-repeated mantra that ‘location, location, location’ is at the core of many people’s buying decisions is no longer true.This echoed the research’s findings that only 6% of the respondents in the survey said moving to their ‘desired postcode’ was important to them.Other surprising results from the research include how ‘home technology’ such as surround-sound audio systems and mood lighting were only important to 9% of respondents.But the ‘green message’ does appear to be tugging at buyer’s purse strings; 95% of those quizzed said they wanted their new home to be sustainable, although only 9% said they wanted their homes to have access to an electric car charging point.Scott Black Jackson-stops Crest Nicholson July 5, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Read More »

The genius of Dr Allinson

first_imgHow do you transform obese folk into “ordinary” people? It’s obvious, duh! Make them run a half marathon every day. If only Dr Allinson had made his suggestion more forcefully a century ago…On fighting the flab: “Exercise must be taken daily; four or five miles a day to begin with, not necessarily all at once, increased until 10 or 12 miles can easily be taken. These are the rules that must be carried out if obese persons want to become like ordinary citizens, and not live like animated flour barrels.”Next week: cold turkeylast_img

Read More »

Today, the presentation of the views of the owners of the hotel complex and the renovation project Haludovo

first_imgA presentation of the renovation project will be held in Crikvenica today, as well as the views of the owners of the Haludovo hotel complex on the potential investment of 250 to 300 million euros.The presentation will take place Nov. 07 at 17 p.m. u school sports hall in Bogovići. On the same day, a meeting will be held at the Ministry of Tourism in Zagreb, on the topic “Tourist project Hotels Haludovo, Malinska”, to which representatives of individual ministries, state agencies, Primorje-Gorski Kotar County and the Municipality have been invited.The whole story about the renovation of the famous hotel complex Haludovo in Malinska, once one of the best symbols of our tourism, raised a lot of dust because the owner is looking for a closed concession as a precondition for the renovation.As pointed out earlier, the intention of the owners of Haludov is to obtain a closed concession as a condition for starting the project, with the explanation that this provides a high level of security and top quality offer for hotel guests. The position of the Municipality of Malinska-Dubašnica is that they are not for a completely closed type concession, while the subject of discussion can only be a partially closed concession, depending on which area, which it covers and in what way.Related news: THE INVESTOR IS LOOKING FOR A CLOSED CONCESSION ON THE MARITIME PROPERTY AS A PREREQUISITE FOR THE RENOVATION OF THE HALUDOVO HOTEL COMPLEXlast_img read more

Read More »

Bailey: If Duke uses Parker in high post, Syracuse will likely lose 2nd straight

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 20, 2014 at 3:08 am Somewhere lost in the magical madness that was Syracuse’s 91-89 overtime win over Duke on Feb. 1 — the same game Jim Boeheim called the greatest in Carrier Dome history — was a grave tactical error.The Blue Devils featured Amile Jefferson and (gulp) Marshall Plumlee in the high post.Yes, Duke was playing for the 3-point shot and both were capable of finding open shooters. But neither big man even attempted to attack the paint. Oftentimes they would catch the ball, back to the basket with no one behind them, and not even turn around.With Jabari Parker buried on the baseline and Rodney Hood on the wing, Duke passed up easy points and took pressure off the SU centers by making its offense entirely 3-point focused.“The middle of the zone breaks the whole defense,” Parker said after the game. “I think I can do a better job when I play against it next time.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textUnfortunately for No. 1 Syracuse, next time is at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and the Orange is coming off its first loss to seven-win Boston College on Wednesday. On Saturday at 7 p.m., SU faces No. 5 Duke, which enters the rematch riding a four-game winning streak and a three-week resonating period since the first matchup. That should be long enough for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski to develop a revamped offensive strategy.If Duke cycles the ball through Parker in the high post, the Orange centers — who played well off Jefferson and Plumlee — would be forced forward. And for a Syracuse team playing its worst basketball of the season, that would likely spell loss No. 2.Placing Parker in the center of the zone would not only open up the same passing lanes that Pittsburgh’s Talib Zanna and Boston College’s Ryan Anderson have exploited twice this season, but also put a depleted group in position to body up one of the best playmakers in the country.Parker finished just 6-of-16 for 15 points in the first matchup — his second-lowest scoring output in the last month.He was often trapped on the block by Baye Moussa Keita or Rakeem Christmas, and picked up his fifth foul — albeit a debatable one — when he elbowed Christmas on the right block with 1:42 to play.“It’s a good growing experience for him,” Krzyzewski said after the game.Throughout the season, SU head coach Jim Boeheim has almost dared opposing teams to shoot from the outside.But when teams have been able to — see: Boston College twice, Villanova, Virginia Tech and Duke — the Orange zone has extended its guards and wings.And few teams have been able to counter. But those who have have put themselves in position to win.Zanna did last on Feb. 12, racking up 16 points and 14 rebounds. And Anderson did on Wednesday, helping hand the Orange its first loss of the season with nine points, 14 rebounds and four assists.Parker would be able to do that, and more.“They’ve got shooters at every position,” SU forward C.J. Fair said, “and as a forward, you’ve got to play an area. You’ve got to play the wing, to the corner, to the short corner. So you don’t want to overcommit to one player, but you don’t want to not give that player enough attention.”Parker saw minimal time in the high post during the first matchup, but with extensive minutes inside the lane and the cast of shooters that kept Duke in the first matchup, the Blue Devils would crumple SU’s 2-3 zone.For a struggling Orange team, a versatile Parker camped out in the middle of its defense would be a nightmare.Stick Jefferson on the baseline as a cutter and let the 40-percent club — Rasheed Sulaimon, Rodney Hood, Andre Dawkins and Tyler Thornton — do what they do best.It was shocking that Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils didn’t make that adjustment coming out of halftime on Feb. 1.There’s no way he’ll miss that one again.Stephen Bailey is the sports editor at The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Stephen_Bailey1. Commentslast_img read more

Read More »

Van Gaal criticises “broken” United squad left by Moyes

first_imgManchester United boss Louis van Gaal has revealed that he feels the squad left to him by previous manager David Moyes was “broken” and unbalanced, according to varying sources.The quotes from the Dutchman, brought to our attention by the Telegraph, state in no uncertain terms that he feels he has been left with an uphill battle to restore United to their former glory, despite the fact that he has hefty financial backing from the board and the rapturous support of the fans.Van Gaal’s thoughtsVan Gaal officially assumed duties almost immediately after his World Cup obligations with the Netherlands had concluded, and has already set about making big decisions with regards to tactics, transfer policies and even the club’s Carrington training ground.However, never one to shy away from airing his views publicly, the 62-year-old has insisted that it would have been easier to follow Sir Alex Ferguson into the Old Trafford hot-seat rather than David Moyes, as the latter left him a team unable to compete at the top.When asked whether picking up the reigns where Sir Alex had set them down would have been more difficult that the current situation, Van Gaal replied: “No. “I don’t agree. I had to follow Bobby Robson at Barcelona the year after he won three titles and there wasn’t a problem.”When there is success you have a very good squad, and now I have to follow and the squad was broken I think.”When you look at the squad, there is quality. There is [Wayne] Rooney, [Robin] van Persie, [Javier] Hernandez, [Danny] Welbeck, but you also see Juan Mata, [Marouane] Fellaini, and you see [Ander] Herrera. There are a lot of players that can play in the same position.”It is not in balance. It’s more difficult to succeed in a difficult situation than in a fantastic situation.”last_img read more

Read More »